I want to immigrate to Canada. What should I do?

I want to immigrate to Canada. What should I do?

Useful tips on how to apply if you want to immigrate to Canada.

Do you want to immigrate to Canada this year? There are several things to consider when immigrating to a new country. From booking plane tickets to arriving at your new “home”, there’s nothing more important than having legal status when you immigrate. It will give you benefits similar, or very close, to the ones held by citizens.

How do I know what to do?

To immigrate to Canada, first, you need to decide on a Province and check on the language they speak there. There are two official languages in Canada: French and English. If you speak either, or both of them, your immigration process will be easier. You will need to take a test to prove your language skills when applying for an immigrant visa. For more information on how to immigrate to Canada check the official website of the Canadian government.

Are you relocating for work or moving to Canada on your own?

If you want to immigrate to Canada for work, employers usually guide workers and/or help them with the relocation process. Companies who relocate workers to branches in other countries are more familiar with the immigration process. If this is your case, contact the corresponding department in your company. If you are immigrating on your own, then you should start by checking if you’re eligible to immigrate to Canada.

What kind of visa does the Canadian government offer?

To immigrate to Canda, you need to check on visas first. The Canadian government offers several types. The one you need depends on which type of worker group you fall into. You can take a survey from the official Canadian website for immigration and citizenship which will give you an idea of the type of visa you qualify for. Keep reading and find out what visa you can apply for.

Quebec-selected skilled workers:

The province of Quebec and the Government of Canada have a special agreement. Quebec has its own rules related to immigration so it is best to check on their website.

Immigrant investors:

This program is called the “Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Pilot Program” and it is designed for those international investors with the necessary skills and abilities to contribute to the Canadian economy, and who can adapt and integrate into Canadian society.

Family sponsorship:

If you are at least 18 years old and either a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada, then you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. They can live, study and work if they become permanent residents of Canada.

Atlantic Immigration Pilot:

If you have a job offer from a Canadian company based in an Atlantic province such as New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador, then this visa applies to you.

Express entry:

The selection of skilled immigrants to become permanent residents is based on their ability to settle in the country and take part in its economy. For this visa, you need to match the skills and/or relevant qualifications for Canada’s federal economic immigration program.

Start-up visa:

This visa works for immigrant entrepreneurs with the necessary skills and potential to build businesses in Canada. The idea is to create jobs for Canadians while being innovative and competitive on a global scale.


Designed for people with relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics who intend and are able to significantly contribute to Canadian culture or athletic life, or have experience in farming and intend and are able to buy and manage a farm in Canada.

Provincial nominees:

To immigrate to Canada when you possess the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a province or territory participating in the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you must want to live there.  Each province may target a different group of people according to its needs. Quebec is not part of this program as it has its own provincial program.


You can immigrate to Canada based on your Canadian work experience. You can apply in three different ways:

  • Caring for Children Program: for those people who have provided full-time child care in a home in Canada for at least two years.
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program: For those people who have been working in Canada for at least two years as a registered or licensed practical nurse, nurse aide or orderly, or home support worker.
  • Live-in Caregiver Program: for those who have at least two years of work experience in the Live-in Caregiver Program in Canada.

Refugees and asylum:

To immigrate to Canada as a refugee, you must be referred. The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), a designated referral organization, or a private sponsorship group, can refer you. You cannot apply directly to the country as a refugee. There are two different refugee classes: the “Convention Refugee Abroad” class, and the “Country of Asylum” class. For both classes, you will need to pass a medical exam and security and criminal check. The province of Quebec selects its own refugees.

International Experience Canada (IEC):

IEC offers opportunities for those who want to temporarily work and/or travel in Canada. To be part of International Experience Canada, you need to become a candidate in one or more of the IEC pools. To become a candidate, you need to find out if you are eligible and, if so, you need to create a free IEC online profile. After that, your information is entered in one or more IEC pools. If you qualify, you will receive an invitation for any of the three types of visas this program offers:

  • International Co-op (Internship)
  • Working holiday
  • Young professionals

For all of these visas in the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, you will need an invitation from one of the organizations that belong to it. You will have only one IEC profile, but you may be eligible for one or more of these IEC pool categories.

When could I be inadmissible?

To immigrate to Canada, check Canada’s Immigration Laws. Typically, if you are not admissible then you are not allowed to enter. But, if you have a valid reason to go to Canada, the government may issue you a temporary resident permit. If you have a criminal history, you have a few options. If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, it is very likely that you are found criminally inadmissible to Canada. Still, as of March 1st, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary residency permit for one visit to the country without paying the $200 processing fee. You can find out more about this in the Help Center of the Canadian Government Immigration and Citizenship website.

What kind of documents will I need?

The documents required to immigrate to Canada vary depending on the type of visa you apply for, but there are some documents you must have with you when crossing the border. This list refers to documents to take with you at the moment of crossing the border, and after your visa has been approved. If you don’t have enough time or have troubles trying to figure out how to complete this process, you can always hire an attorney for immigration. You must check for quality and reliability, so you may need to find the best immigration lawyers in the province you plan to move to. This will protect you from scammers who will only try to take your money.

Questions about where to have your documents accurately translated and certified?

At LingoStar we cooperate with professional translators all over the world who can provide translation services and post-insertion reviews in over 100 languages, including French and English our two official languages here in Canada. Our legal translations are certified. Let us help you with your transition and allow us to translate your documents. If you need more information, call us today at 604-629-8420 or send us an email at info@lingo-star.com. Contact us and get a free quote!